Thursday, July 18, 2013

Be An Expert In Foundation Application



Does your foundation look a little streaky? Uneven? Well fret no more! Below, I have compiled a list of tricks that I have acquired in my years of makeup application.


Prep Your Skin

Of course, it all starts with the area that you are applying the foundation to. If your skin is being difficult, here are a few things to try out to make sure your skin is healthy and glowing. And here's the bonus, if your skin is healthy and glowing, you may just kick that foundation habit of yours.
  • Mild and gentle cleansing: Make sure to gently cleanse your skin. Harsh cleansers only cause your skin to react to fight the chemical assailant! Gently cleanse your skin every night before bed. Use an eye makeup remover to gently remove any eyeshadow, eyeliner, and mascara. For a natural remover, I use jojoba oil. 
  • Only wash at night or after a workout: I don't wash my face in the morning. At night, your skin is producing healthy oils so why get rid of all the healthy stuff. In the morning, I lightly sprinkle my face with water. Then I apply sunscreen and moisturizer. I've recommended this to a friend and she has seen a decrease in pesky zits popping up. Sometimes, less is more!
  • Exfoliate rarely: Take a piece of tape and apply it to your face. Weird I know, but just try it. Rub back and forth on that piece of tape. Remove. Now look at it. Are there little flecks on there? If there are, you need to exfoliate. Use a gentle exfoliator and please do not rub hard. Let the beads do the work. Exfoliate no more than once a week! 
  • Try a fun facial spa day: Have you always wanted to try a mud mask? Go for it! But be wary, masks are meant to pull all that bad gunk out. And while that sounds great, you have to remember that now your pores are open to all the elements. If you're like me, you'll find your face full of small pesky zits days after. So again, use in moderation. Apply directly to newbie pimples and zits to combat growth. Or, if you don't experience my problem, slather that on your face, slice a few cucumbers, and pop in your favorite movie. 
  • Moisturizer massage: Right after washing/exfoliation, massage your moisturizer onto your skin in a firm, circular motion. This will help increase blood flow to your skin.


Application

Now onto the goods! If you feel like you still need to apply foundation, here are some tips to help create a flawless coverage.
  • Moisturize your skin: Prior to application, make sure your skin is moisturized. Let it dry and absorb into your skin.


Ensure a gorgeous, sheer finish and even, streak-free application
with this stippling brush that complements any foundation. 
  • Use a stippling brush: I dot my foundation all over my face: dots along the chin, around the forehead, a couple on the cheeks. I then use my fingers to evenly spread around my face. Then, to really create the smooth and even canvas, I use a stippling brush to distribute the foundation. The stippling brush is one I would invest in! Works wonders. Let foundation dry.



This one-stop shop of a brush is a serious multitasker! The Retractable Kabuki Brush is the ideal tool to apply bronzers, blushers, powders, and shimmers flawlessly.
  • Seal it in: Apply a finishing powder on top. Use a kabuki brush to distribute powder evenly around face.

Have some great tips to share? Please leave your advice below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment